Michaela Buxton, one of our tour-de-force Team Leads at DreamCSX, contributed this article for the blog.
Online review ratings can make or break a potential customer’s first impression of your product. For this reason, it is extremely important for businesses to manage their branding in the best way possible. Reviews allow verified customers a platform to share their authentic opinion on the product. A study conducted in 2016 found that 79% of consumers trust online reviews as much as personal recommendations. Additionally, 85% of consumers say that they read online reviews for local businesses, and 73% of consumers say positive customer reviews increase their trust in the business. It goes without saying, that product review ratings play a crucial role in a customer’s decision to purchase online. This directly impacts the company’s growth.
Here at DreamCSX, we understand the impact that online review ratings play on your customer’s perception and product sales. Star ratings and customer reviews play a pivotal role in igniting a greater confidence in customers’ purchasing decisions. Customer service is a key component in maintaining high review ratings, and is our area of expertise here at DreamCSX. We have compiled a short list of our top five tips and tricks to help boost your online ratings, as well as strengthen rapport with your customers.
1. Network with your customers! This one is a no-brainer, but communication with your buyers is crucial to avoiding low ratings and negative feedback online . Making customer satisfaction your primary focus is the best way to increase your ratings. Each online venue has a list of ‘Top Reviewers’, and these are your customers that you absolutely need to reach out to! We recommend answering questions and addressing their concerns within a 24-hour period. This displays your commitment to your product, as well as your customer’s overall experience.
2. Send personalized follow-up emails. By default, some online web hosts send auto-generated emails to your customers after a purchase is made from their website. This can generate four-star and five-star ratings; however, generic emails are not enough to wow your customers. Sending personalized emails for reviews creates a long-lasting impression with your customers. Personalized review requests are an excellent avenue to provide direct links to your customer’s purchases. This makes leaving feedback simpler for customers.
3. Create a Drip Marketing Campaign. While follow-up emails are key to boosting your ratings, timing is also extremely important. Creating an automated messaging system, otherwise known as an email drip campaign, “drips” relevant emails to your customers for a pre-determined time-frame throughout their purchase cycle. This increases click-through and conversion rates, and ensures that customers are reached after every purchase! Preventing negative reviews can be combated through scheduled emails within 24 hours of the product shipping. An additional email should be sent after the customer receives the product. The follow-up email should include step-by-step instructions, and promotional codes for future purchases. Customers will feel appreciated and more likely to boost your ratings. Maybe even make additional purchases!
4. Set up a Product Testing Group. Product testing is an excellent way for online Sellers to increase their product reviews as well as boosting sales. Most sellers provide discounted or complimentary products in exchange for a review. Product testing is a commonly used strategy that generates word of mouth marketing and increases product visibility. A lot of web hosts heavily encourage this practice, so plan to set aside a certain amount of inventory for product testing to increase your ratings!
5. Invest in high-quality packaging and inserts. Online customers have high expectations for quality and expect their product to arrive in a neat fashion, as well as high-end packaging. Poor packaging will negatively impact your product reviews! As a result, the average star rating will be significantly lower if low-quality packaging is used. Don’t be that seller! Providing inserts in your packaging is a cost-effective way to increase online review ratings. Inserts can be used to remind your customers the benefits of the product! Inserts also provide customers a direct way to reach the company, should they have any questions or concerns on the product. This can prevent customers from leaving bad reviews on the product, when they needed some guidance on using the product. Investing in high-end packaging as well as targeted inserts are an effective way to wow your customers, mitigate negative feedback and poor ratings, and improve customer satisfaction leading to repeat buyers! It’s a win-win!
DreamCSX offers consultative services for companies interested in improving their customer service funnel. Click here for a free evaluation.